Incomplete nodes written to flash

Felix Domke tmbinc at elitedvb.net
Tue Aug 31 07:22:00 EDT 2004

I have a 32MB NAND flash using linux-2.6.8-rc4 with a 2MB jffs2
partition (along with a bigger jffs2 partition).

What I experience is corrupted nodes when not unmounting a jffs2
partition properly. It seems that the last node written to flash is
incompetely written (the last, not completely filled sector isn't written).

Unmounting writes this last sector, with correct padding. Now, is that
the supposed behaviour?

I have, for example, a 2MB boot jffs2 partition. It only contains one
file in mostly 4k chunks. At some boundaries, there are like ~0x98 bytes
unused space, which is just filled with FF until the next sector. I know
that these can't be avoided, as a chunk can never wrap around a block,
and the remaining space is not enough to generate a new chunk.

When i now create any file on that partition, the new directory node and
the new file node will be written, but then a garbage collection will
start, collecting a block with these 0x98 bytes free space. Why does it
make a GC here? Does it try to reorganize the blocks to make the 0x98
bytes usable?

But in any case, the last sector of the last garbage collected block
(i.e. the last sector "written") isn't physically written to the device,
only when i unmount the filesystem. Is that supposed? I know that NAND
has these "10 writes then you must erase" restriction, so i guess the
last write is delayed since you can't reuse the last part of the sector
otherwise without counting these 10 times. But in my eyes, it would be
better to waste the remaining sector (<512 bytes) but keep data
integrity in these cases, because otherwise you will always(!) loose
data when turing off the device.

I know that jffs2 should ignore all nodes with wrong data crc, but i
don't want to rely on that.

Or is there any timer which completes these writes after a certain
timeout which just doesn't work for me?

Felix