Can jffs2 support XIP extensions?

Christopher M Bergeron christopher at bergeron.com
Tue Aug 24 14:27:01 EDT 2004

Unfortunately, boot time is my primary concern.  However, I'm planning
on booting an uncompressed linux kernel which should save quite a bit of
boot time.  I'd be curious to know how much of an improvement is gained
by using XIP in an uncompressed kernel without XIP - versus -
uncompressed kernel _with_ XIP.

I would tend to think the difference is quite small, or OLS wouldn't
have benchmarked with a compressed kernel against an uncompressed one.
I think I'll steer clear of XIP for now...

Since we're on the topic, does anyone have any pointers, website links
or kernel patches that have tips on accelerating kernel boot time?

Thanks!
-CB