raw nand on x86 - reference boards

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Mon Sep 29 06:36:34 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 18:27 +0800, daniel at dmhome.net wrote:
> > drivers/mtd/nand/diskonchip.c
> Yep, i've seen that one, I completely forgot about it! Good idea, also
> the boards I am working with all have a doc socket already.

Bear in mind you can use a Millennium to replace BIOS flash too -- if
you're arguing on grounds of cost, you need to compare the cost of your
NOR flash _and_ the NAND with the cost of a DiskOnChip Millennium of
similar size.

> Originally I was thinking about using etherboot as a base to start from,
> add support for booting images from a raw flash partition. (they already
> have this for booting from disk).

If you're going to stick to booting from raw NAND flash that makes
sense. If you want to boot a kernel from a JFFS2 partition on NAND,
it'll be a lot of work to make it happen in etherboot.

--
dwmw2