GC does not handle big syslog files

Joakim Tjernlund joakim.tjernlund at lumentis.se
Mon Sep 22 06:28:14 EDT 2003

Hi

By mistake I left syslog running on one of our boards. The syslog file
has grown to 1.2 MB and is cuasing major problem for our app. Syslog just
appends a line at time and that leads to LOTS of small data nodes.

It takes about 10 minutes for jfs2_gcd to "check" this file during which writes
to the FS hangs. Moreover this file is never GC:ed since theres is
lots of free space left.

1) Should I expect writes to hang while jffs2_gcd is "checking" a file?

2) I think JFFS2 needs GC files even when there is plenty of room left in the
   FS since fragmentation can get really bad. Comments?

  Jocke