jffs2 vs NFTL

Chris Ellec cellec at celerity.net
Wed Oct 29 14:14:34 EST 2003

A couple years ago I developped a system wih DOC using [N]FTL and an
ext2 file system which was working fine.

Now I have a new project where we'll use JFFS2 for reliability instead
of ext2, but I am confused as to the relationship between JFFS2 and NFTL.

For example the help provided in the Configuration steps says that
CONFIG_MTD_PARTITIONS is not needed for Diskonchip, however
http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/tech/nand.html
says that the same flag is needed for JFFS2

Does that mean that the JFFS2 driver does not use the NFTL driver ? What
about the new chips that need the INFTL driver ?

Chris.