DoC newbie

stephen lcbr17306 at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Nov 25 07:02:04 EST 2003

Hi,

I know how to boot the DOC using the default native dos partition, last year
i used 'loadln.exe' only because I had to utilize already existing DOC,
which was 8 MB, so i used initrd to mount my root filesystem which ran in
memory, no problem with powering down problems, I also found after compiling
the kernel with DOC support i could write to the DOC after mounting as a DOS
partition, David helped me on this (many thanks), another reason for doing
it this way is that the AMPRO board i was using uses the DOC to store the
bios from eeprom, so I had to work my way around it,

it is definitely possible to boot from the DOC, i wouldnt reccomened ext2
though only because its not Journaling like ext3, ext2 will force fcsk which
can damage the DOC, which is what I am trying to do at the moment, as soon
as I've sussed it i'll let you know what i did, im using a 32MB diskonchip
at the moment,

maybe its a trade secret or summut? or it is not a worthy question for the
almighty forum! :D

kind regards

stephen