suggestion to extend life of ATA IDE flash drive

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sat Nov 15 03:43:19 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 15:12 -0800, Andre Sodermans wrote:
> I did read the note By David on the very bottom of the
> mtd homepage about compactflash IDE drives, but I have
> been hearing different stories about this - somebody
> mentioned that there exists an mtd-emulation. Is this
> really true?

Yes, ∃ such an emulation. It's the 'blkmtd' device, which uses any block
device (not just CF) as backing store for a faked MTD device.

You can use JFFS2 on that. It's not wonderfully efficient, since every
time we write a node to JFFS2 we end up rewriting a whole 512-byte
'sector' (or more). We should use the code we already _have_ for NAND
flash, which batches writes to the medium (but handles fsync() etc.
properly).

Left as an exercise for the reader...

--
dwmw2