problem writing to /dev/mtd0

Paul van Gool paul.vangool at rinconnetworks.com
Fri Nov 14 19:25:33 EST 2003

Hi,

I'm trying to read and write from/to a flash partition using its char
device. Reading seems to work fine but I can't seem to get writing  to
work.

I'm using a SolutionEngine7751 dev board, Linux 2.4.20 and the MTD release
that was part of that kernel. The error I get is:

Last[3] is cba4cda6, datum is 34333231

Looking at Last[4] during the 10000 write attempts, it seems its value
seems to alternate between cba4cda6 and cbe4cde6.

The errno I get back is 5, and is EIO.

Boottime info regarding the chips is:

Amd/Fujitsu Extended Query Table v1.0 at 0x0040
Solution Engine FLASH: JEDEC Device ID is 0xC4. Assuming broken CFI table.
Solution Engine FLASH: Swapping erase regions for broken CFI table.
number of CFI chips: 1
Solution Engine: Flash at 0x00000000, EPROM at 0x01000000
Using configured partition at 0x00020000.
Creating 4 MTD partitions on "Solution Engine FLASH":
0x00000000-0x00020000 : "Boot loader"
0x00020000-0x000e0000 : "Kernel"
0x000e0000-0x00300000 : "Root filesystem"
0x00300000-0x00400000 : "JFFS segment"

I use this flash chip through its block device all the time and writing
through that device (/dev/mtdblock0) hasn't been an issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Paul
--
Paul van Gool                                               Rincon Networks
paul.vangool at rinconnetworks.com                              (805)-705-1442