Problem: erase mtd device

Cam Mayor cmayor at iders.ca
Thu Nov 13 14:55:55 EST 2003

On Wednesday 12 November 2003 12:31, hking wrote:
> This is what I got after I added three custom partitions in the physmap.c:
> After the kernel (2.4.20) boots up, I logged in as root and type:
> #cat /proc/mtd
> == and I got:
> dev:    size   erasesize  name
> mtd0: 00040000 00040000 "ResetWord"
> mtd1: 01ec0000 00040000 "User FS"
> mtd2: 00100000 00040000 "UBOOT"
>

> The size, erasesize and name look correct.  It does not say the starting
> point of each partitions.  Since our first and third partition are
> write-protected, so I tried to erase the mtd1.
>

> And I typed:
> #erase /dev/mtd1
> == and I got:
> File open error

try unlocking that device before erasing.  my flash (YMMV) powers up to a
locked state.  (read the rest of this email first)

> And I typed:
> #eraseall /dev/mtd1
> == and I got:
> eraseall: /dev/mtd1: No such device

check your /dev/mtd? entries against ./Documentation/devices.txt
are the major/minor numbers correct?

cam

--
Cameron Mayor
Iders Incorporated

As of Decemeber 1, 2003			Until November 30, 2003
100-137 Innovation Drive		600A Clifton Street
Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3T 6B6		Winnipeg, MB Canada R3G 2X6

hi Luc