Mtd block access (jffs2 formatted) and mtd char access(unformatted) on different partitions of a single flashdevice

jonas.holmberg at axis.com jonas.holmberg at axis.com
Thu May 22 16:31:38 EDT 2003

> > Is this chip-feature "probable"? We used to do simutaneous
> > erases in a bootloader, but after a while we started using
> > chips that couldn't do that so we had to change the behaviour
> > to be able to handle all sorts of chips. I'm not sure if CFI
> > covers that particular feature, but it would be great if it
> > did. It wouldn't be so great to have to check JEDEC IDs...
> >

> As far as I know, the feature is unique to AMD though I don't know if it
> is supported across their entire product line.  Also, it is not a CFI
> specific feature.  For example, it's discussed in the 29LV008B (not a
> CFI compliant device) data sheet under the "Sector Erase Command
> Sequence" section.

If it is AMD specific someone ought to do some performance tests
before working on a patch, because when we changed method
from simultaneous erase to erasing one block at a time it wasn't
slower (or at least not much slower iirc) erasing an entire 16Mbit
AMD device.

/Jonas (hoping that changing email-client will allow me to sneak
past Davids naughty header-checking filters).