Mtd block access (jffs2 formatted) and mtd char access(unformatted) on different partitions of a single flashdevice

John Burch jburch at vincisystems.com
Wed May 21 08:33:44 EDT 2003

> > What does "driver" mean? If you have two in-kernel drivers for the
> > same flash chip, they will use different locks and things
> will break.
> > If that is a user-space driver, using the /dev/mtdX
> devices, you are
> > perfectly safe. Which one is it?
>
> Hmmm. What he actually said was 'driver with its own flash
> support', which sounds bad. As long as everything accessing
> the flash goes through the MTD driver for the flash, using
> its read/write/erase functions rather than banging on the

When accessing "raw" flash via the char driver, how can I initiate a
sector erase?  Also, does the mtd driver for AMD CFI devices handle
AMD's ability to support erasure of multiple sectors simultaneously?

> hardware directly, it'll be fine. If your raw driver is
> actually dealing with the flash driver directly, that's broken.

David has it right.  The raw "in-kernel" driver deals with flash
directly on its own, not through mtd.