NAND flash!

Charles Manning manningc2 at actrix.gen.nz
Tue May 6 00:20:27 EDT 2003

>       Could i use cheaper NAND Flash-ROMs instead of expensive NOR
> Flash-ROMs (like Intel or AMD Flash) to hold the
> MIPS-Kernel/Applications/Data and boot the System from? We use the AMD
> PB1000 development board,and the bootloader is yamon.
>    I know that yaffs is very useful for the NAND flash. But how to add it
> to the kernal or yamon?

Yes, you most definitely can use YAFFS as a root file system on NAND. YAFFS
also includes a very simple bootloader. There are also tools for generating a
YAFFS file system image. Many people are using these with great success. Nick
Bane wrote a mini-HOWTO  about how to add YAFFS to the kernel as the root
file system.

The best place to start is to get the code from YAFFS CVS
(http://www.aleph1.co.uk) . I suggest you also subscribe to the yaffs
discussion list.

-- CHarles