Error: Wacky! Unable to decode failure status

Thayne Harbaugh tharbaugh at lnxi.com
Mon May 5 16:26:03 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-05-05 at 13:42, Michael Moedt wrote:
> > > I'm getting the error message "Wacky! Unable to
> > > decode failure status".  See below:
> >
> > My guess is that you are using
> > divers/mtd/chips/cfi_cmdset_0002.c with a
> > revision earlier than 1.68 - please update to that
> > version.  If you
> > still have problems then send another email and I'll
> > look a bit closer.
>
> Thanks for the quick response!  I'm also looking at
> the  sheet.
> I am using 1.68. (last modified 04/21, by thayne.  =])

Good.

> As far as we can tell, it looks like the erase
> operation completes correctly, and we start reading
> the flash again, getting the erased value of 0xffff.
> (It is in 16-bit wide mode)

Correct - all prior "MTD do_erase_oneblock(): Check" messages indicate
that dq6 is toggling.

> The 'ones' variable that it compares the read values
> to is only an 8-bit 0xff.  I traced this back a
> little,  (the CMD macro in include/linux/mtd/cfi.h and
> the function right above it) and it keeps it as 8-bit
> even if it knows that it's x16.

The status should only be a single byte because the erase or write
(depending on the operation) is being sent to a single chip (not using
interlaced chips).  The final test value should be two bytes because you
are using the x16 mode.

> Should it be masking off only the lowest byte?

Nope - not for the final data verification.

Try the attached patch.