Error: Wacky! Unable to decode failure status

Michael Moedt xemc at yahoo.com
Mon May 5 15:42:55 EDT 2003

> > I'm getting the error message "Wacky! Unable to
> > decode failure status".  See below:
>
> My guess is that you are using
> divers/mtd/chips/cfi_cmdset_0002.c with a
> revision earlier than 1.68 - please update to that
> version.  If you
> still have problems then send another email and I'll
> look a bit closer.

Thanks for the quick response!  I'm also looking at
the  sheet.
I am using 1.68. (last modified 04/21, by thayne.  =])

As far as we can tell, it looks like the erase
operation completes correctly, and we start reading
the flash again, getting the erased value of 0xffff.
(It is in 16-bit wide mode)

The 'ones' variable that it compares the read values
to is only an 8-bit 0xff.  I traced this back a
little,  (the CMD macro in include/linux/mtd/cfi.h and
the function right above it) and it keeps it as 8-bit
even if it knows that it's x16.

Should it be masking off only the lowest byte?