Building MTD utils w/ arm-linux- cross

Michael Moedt xemc at yahoo.com
Fri May 2 15:05:16 EDT 2003

Hi.

I ran into a little bit of trouble compiling the MTD
utilities for an ARM-based system.  I'm using
2.4.19-rmk7 for an EP7312.  I executed the
'patchin.sh' to this kernel directory, and copied the
'util' directory over.  It compiles fine for the host
system (x86), but when I uncommented the
"CROSS=arm-linux-", it didn't compile correctly.

Anyways, the trouble was in the form of:

-----
arm-linux-gcc -I../include -O2 -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -Wshadow   -c -o eraseall.o
eraseall.c
eraseall.c:40: zlib.h: No such file or directory
make: *** [eraseall.o] Error 1
mmoedt at reptar:~/gonzo/linux-2.4.19-rmk7/util$
-----

Well, I installed zlib-1.1.4 into
/usr/local/arm/2.95.3 , but I needed to add -I and -L
flags to the Makefile in order for it to find it.  It
seems to work, but I didn't find this anywhere when I
searched the mailing list.  Is this the standard
procedure, or am I doing something wrong?

Anyways, I also wanted to let someone with CVS access
know that there's a typo in the Makefile.  In
eraseall's build rule, it uses $(LDLAGS) instead of
$(LDFLAGS).  I guess no one needs to add the '-L'
LDFLAG other than me?

Mike