How use FTP on serial port(COM1)?

guo_zhenglin guo_zl9 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 18 04:40:16 EST 2003

 I don't know how to config network (ftp) on MBX860 board,
please help me.

1) our finally product is ourself-design board.
the designer say  no Ethernet port,
and only has ONE serial port used to maintenance and update system.
this board has not manufactured.

2) Our company has a DEMO board , it is motorola's MBX860 board.
MBX860 board has a Ethernet port (SCC1).
now I can test something about network on MBX860 board.

3) firstly I want to use ftp on MBX860 board via ethernet port(SCC1).
    if this success,then
    secondly, I  TRY  to use ftp on MBX860 board via serial port (COM1).
    if  must need TWO serial ports ,
    I can advice the designer to add another serial port.
    lastly   ,I can use ftp on ourself-design board via serial port(COM1 or
COM2).

4) but  I don't know how to config network (ftp) on MBX860 board,
    counld you help me ?
    thank you very much.
     could  I need modify  "/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts" ,"/sbin/ifuup" ?

5) my linux kernel :2.4.4.
    CROSS_COMPILE: ppc_8xx-gcc (v2.95)

6) linux can boot from MBX860 board ,and show messages :
        NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0
        IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP, IGMP
        IP: routing cache hash table of 512 buckets, 4Kbytes
        Sending BOOTP requests.... OK
        IP-Config: Got BOOTP answer from 192.168.1.252, my address is
192.168.1.1
        NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0/SMP for Linux NET4.0.

 guo zhenglin
E-mail: guo_zl9 at hotmail.com