Unable to open console /start init - more info (jffs2)

Thomas Gleixner tglx at linutronix.de
Wed Mar 12 03:54:55 EST 2003

On Tuesday 11 March 2003 20:30, Brian T. wrote:

> But I don't see any JFFS2 output (formatting the blocks...etc...) on the
> 2.4.20 kernel I'm trying to get running:
> VFS: Mounted root (jffs2 filesystem) readonly.
Your root-fs is mounted with JFFS2-Filesystem

> Freeing unused kernel memory: 60k freed
> Warning: unable to open an initial console.

This message appears when your system tries to open /dev/ttyX and it is not
there. The possible reasons for this are:
- Wrong root partition
- /dev/ttyX is not there
- The kernel was compiled without support for virtual termainals.

--
Thomas
linutronix - competence in embedded & realtime linux
mail: tglx at linutronix.de