quick question

Stephen Brown sbrown at stirling-dynamics.com
Thu Jun 26 08:26:58 EDT 2003

hi,

its a DOC 2000 , onboard 8 MB, it resides on the p5e module, Ampro have
specifically changed the hardware to suit their SBC, which includes a bios
copy from eprom, they provide utility tools similar to the 'm-sys' ones,
except are specifically designed for Ampro, if you use the 'm-sys' tools the
SBC won't boot as 'im assuming' the bios cannot be copied from eprom as the
first bios screen wont load, this creates a DOS partition as well as a bios
area stored close to the boot sector.

1st problem is, compiling the kernel for the Ampro p5e module takes a good
half day!!
2nd problem, the preparation for a standard 'm-sys DOC' is not the same as
in the specific tools that are written for the p5e module.

I tried quite a few different kernel compiles ( include MTD - etc etc - also
tried the ones default with kernel 2.4.4 and the latest ones from web ) to
try and make the DOC compatible with the real-time linux kernel, recompiled
with RTLinux pre-1, but couldnt get it to work, this takes up a lot of time!
so.. i opted to load the RTLinux kernel and root filesystem from the DOS
partition, that resides on the p5e module, using 'loadlin' , this loads into
memory using initrd as the p5e module has 32 MB sdram,

the system is finished and I am happy with its performance but ...  looking
ahead into the future 'if' the hardware has to stay the same it would be
nice to have a non-volatile area so to store network information etc,
instead at the moment I can change on the fly, until I power down, or... I
can create a new ROOT filesystem (*.gz) , change a few scripts etc, for
permanent changes.

I cannot recompile the kernel for Red Hat 7.2 and RTLinux to include ext3
fs, so I have learned to live with it as ext2.

This is why I have an interest in the 'IDE PRO' if maybe it can provide a
solution via the IDE bus, without a lot more time consuming kernel
compiling, the other option was a seperate DOC from 'm-sys' that could
interface with our pc-104 stack which Im assuming would require me to
recompile the kernel, which in turn would have a knock on effect to my
development PC and all modules compiled for the target p5e etc etc... blah
blah...    i dont mind doing it but obviously an alternative would be better
, while we are tied with the current hardware..

kind regards

stephen