Data CRC failed on node...

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Mon Jun 16 07:59:15 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 12:34, Massimo Calò wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>     I have a 5272 Motorola Coldfire based board, running "uClinux dist. :
> uClinux-20030305.tar.gz" +
>
> "Tool Chain : m68k-elf-tools-20030314.sh.".
>
> I have a 2Mb flash (AMD AM29LV160DB) using MTD + JFFS2.
>
> It has worked fine for a long time, then I received the following message
> during the bootstarp :

>         jffs2_scan_inode_node(): Data CRC failed on node at 0x0005ca64: Read
> 0xb399e587c

That's normal and harmless. It's just a warning, not an error. You
powered down while a node was being written -- perhaps by the garbage
collection thread. In that case, the previous node containing the same
data will still be valid and will continue to be used. No data are lost.

> To fix the problem I do the command "eraseall /dev/mtd2" and the error was
> cleared.

Or you could have waited until the block containing the offending node
was garbage-collected, and it would have gone away on its own.

> Do I have to mount/unmount the flash every time I have to read/write from it
> ?

No, but if you want to avoid the cosmetic warnings, you should mount the
file system readonly or unmount it before each _reboot_.

--
dwmw2