MRAM will kill FLASH ?

Charles Manning manningc2 at actrix.gen.nz
Sat Jun 14 21:33:34 EDT 2003

On Saturday 14 June 2003 00:07, Jasmine Strong wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, Conn Clark wrote:
> > mingfeng wrote:
> > > who know MRAM(Magnetoresistive Random Access Memory) ?
> > > Will it kill FLASH soon?
> >
> > It probably wont be soon. I don't think it will kill flash completely
> > either.
>
> And either way it'll probably work the same sort of way as NAND Flash;
> ie error-prone, block-oriented and byte-serial.

My understanding of MRAM is that it can be read and written like RAM (ie. no
concept of blocks, erasing etc. It might be error prone, but that can perhaps
be sorted the same way as RAM errors are handled.

The biggest hurdle is that this stuff is still not practical for most
applicaions. We're looking at devices of a few MB in 2004, when NAND is
already volume shipping 256 MB. Thus, MRAM will only suite very niche
applications for the forseeable future.

IMHO

-- CHarles