jffs2 vs. ext3

Siddharth Choudhuri choudhri at cs.tamu.edu
Thu Jun 12 12:34:47 EDT 2003

> JFFS2, on the other hand, works directly with the flash and does not
> suffer the same problems.

Yes, I noticed that with JFFS2, the size (in bytes) of write requests sent
to NOR chips were not in any multiples (as opposed to ext3). For eg:
`touch filename` -or- `echo "abcd" > foo` would send multiple write
requests totalling to around 200-300 bytes.

>From what I understand, NOR chips are byte level programmable, but
changing a 0->1 would require entire block erase which might take around 1
sec. But it did not seem to happen in the above case of creating a file ?
Am I missing something basic here ?

Also, another question that I have is "Is there any reason(s) why one
should use ext3 as opposed to jffs2 on flash based systems"

TIA
-siddharth