Stopping the GC thread?

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Thu Jun 12 05:18:58 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-06-12 at 10:08, Steven Scholz wrote:
> 1.) What happens if I send multiple SIGSTOPs or SIGCONTs to the
> thread? Does she handle (i.e. ignore) that properly?

Should do.

> 2.) What happnens when I send a SIGSTOP in the middle of a running GC?
> Will it stop immediately? Or will it take a while?

It'll finish copying the node it's _currently_ garbage-collecting, which
may involve decompressing up to a page of data, recompressing it and
writing it out elsewhere. It may also need to wait for erases to
complete.

Even after it's stopped, if there are erasable blocks on the queue,
they'll continue to be erased in the background by kupdated. You cannot
prevent that.

'sector'?  Read http://sources.redhat.com/jffs2/jffs2.pdf

> Will it then just continue after a SIGCONT? Or will start all over again?

It'll just continue.

--
dwmw2