Cram FS on NAND - How to do this?

Pantelis Antoniou panto at intracom.gr
Thu Jun 12 04:15:58 EDT 2003

Thomas Gleixner wrote:

>On Wednesday 11 June 2003 10:43, Pantelis Antoniou wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>
>>I have a requirement to have a compressed read only
>>root filesystem in my board and I've come to the
>>conclussion that the best fit would be CRAMFS if only
>>had any concept of bad blocks.
>>

>Why don't you use a JFFS2 partition and mount it read only ?
>Then you have a compressed read only root filesystem.
>All there no hacking required. :)

Well JFFS2 is a wonderful filesystem, but it does have it's
detractions.

The main problem with it is the time it spends on mount when
scanning the device; the larger the device, the larger the time.
Also the compression ratio's of CRAMFS are better.

You should use the right tool for the job.

And what's wrong with a little bit of hacking ehh? :-)

Regards

Pantelis