Stopping the GC thread?

Steven Scholz steven.scholz at imc-berlin.de
Wed Jun 11 12:03:58 EDT 2003

Hi there,

in "JFFS - A pratical guide"
(http://www.embeddedlinuxworks.com/articles/jffs_guide.html) I read

"For completeness, I should mention that you can suspend and re-start
the GC thread on demand by sending it a signal. A SIGSTOP and a
SIGCONT can do that respectively."

I would like to be able to stop the garbage collection thread from
within my application when doing some time critical things.
Is it safe to just do a

~ # kill -s SIGSTOP `pidof jffs2_gcd_mtd0`

even if my root fs is on this JFFS2 partition?

(I just tried it now and it seems to work. But IIRC a while ago my
system hung when I did something like that...)

Thanks,

Steven