jffs2 vs. ext3

Siddharth Choudhuri choudhri at cs.tamu.edu
Wed Jun 11 12:03:30 EDT 2003

I am trying jffs2 and ext3 on a 3MB Intel NOR flash. I have a piece of
code in function part_write (mtdpart.c) that outputs the size in bytes and pid
of the process (current) sending write requests.

With ext3, no matter how many bytes are written (by an application/user
level program), the part_write function always gets a request that is
multiple of 128K (131072 bytes). This does not happen with jffs2 though.
Also, with ext3, the process is always mtdblockd, whereas with jffs2 the
process sending the request is the actual user/application process.

Any ideas why it happens ?

thanks in advance,
-siddharth