NAND write verify failed problem -->cramfs

Charles Manning manningc2 at actrix.gen.nz
Sat Jun 7 16:34:16 EDT 2003

On Friday 06 June 2003 21:54, you wrote:
> Sorry I am new to this list and I have two questions as below:
>
> 1. To loop mount a CRAMFS (root file system) image on one JFFS2 partition,
> we should mount that partition first, shouldn't we? But how can we mount
> that JFFS2 partition without mounting the root file system?

Doing this with a root file system makes it a bit more challenging... I don't
know if that can be done.

> 2. Currently I use NAND flash with ramdisk image on /dev/mtdblock1 as the
> root file system. Usually I write the ramdisk image using the command
> "nandwrite /dev/mtdblock1 ramdisk.gz". So far everything works fine. But I
> am wondering whether the kernel can still load the ramdisk image if there
> are some bad blocks on /dev/mtdblock1?

You could perhaps use a cut-down version of YAFFS (like is used in the YAFFS
bootloader) to store a CRAMFS image. This is relatively simple and quite a
few people do this for booting.

Do you have enough RAM to load the image into RAM at boot? That would make it
even easier.

-- CHarles