Problem mounting JFFS2

Thomas Gleixner tglx at linutronix.de
Wed Jul 30 12:21:39 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 30 July 2003 16:48, David Müller (ELSOFT AG) wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm trying to get a JFFS2 filesystem on a 64MB NAND flash device working
> on an ARM based system (running Linux-2.4.21 and the latest MTD CVS code).
>
> I prepare the JFFS2 image on my host system like this
>
> temp> mkfs.jffs2 --version
> mkfs.jffs2: revision 1.38
>
> temp> mkfs.jffs2 -d targetfs -o targetfs.img -e 16 -l -q -v -n
>

> and burn it into the NAND device on the target. If i later try to mount
> it under Linux with "mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock/1 /mnt", i get the
> following output:

How do you burn it into the NAND device ? Are you updating the OOB area ?
read http://linux-mtd.infradead.org/tech/nand.html
use nandwrite from the util directory, if you can do it from a running system

> jffs2: Erase block size too small (16KiB). Using virtual blocks size
> (32KiB) instead

That's due to memory consumption. If we have 16KiB eraseblock size we need too
much memory to keep track of all eraseblocks. So we use virtual 32KiB blocks
instead.

> jffs2_check_nand_cleanmarker(): Cleanmarker node not detected in block
> at 00000000
> OOB at 00000000 was 33 f3 c0 ff f0 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
> jffs2_check_nand_cleanmarker(): Cleanmarker node not detected in block
> at 000080
> OOB at 00008000 was 03 f0 00 ff f0 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
> [deleted rest of cleanmarker check]

See above

--
Thomas
linutronix - competence in embedded & realtime linux
mail: tglx at linutronix.de