jedec_probe.c

Thayne Harbaugh tharbaugh at lnxi.com
Tue Jul 8 11:08:16 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-08 at 02:21, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-07-07 at 15:52, Thayne Harbaugh wrote:
> > Having a generic, forced configuration would be very useful for those
> > that already know what they have in the system.  It would also fix cases
> > where hardware is impossible to reliably probe.  This type of work would
> > be very much appreciated.
>
> If we do this, it needs to be easy to switch back to the generic probe
> code.

The forced configuration would be an override.  I've played around and
have some modules that take parameters that override usual behavior.
I'm not sure if I like this or if I would rather have a separate module
(maybe forced_probe) that could be used instead of gen_probe and
jedec_probe (or even cfi_probe).

>  Many people don't really know how their board is wired up, or are
> given incorrect information. I have customers who _insist_ their boot
> flash is wired up as 32 bits, and file bugs against the working kernel
> because of the comments and board setup for 16 bit flash. Not because
> they claim it doesn't work, but just because they're comparing with
> their docs.

Makes perfect sense.  Most people would use the already established
probing mechanisms.

--
Thayne Harbaugh
Linux Networx