JFFS2 and bad blocks

simon at baydel.com simon at baydel.com
Mon Jan 6 12:04:15 EST 2003

I download the CVS stuff mid December and again today. The
hardware ran ok before and could use jffs2 without errors but as I
added files it was slow and I could not make file systems on
partitions which contained bad blocks.

The new CVS code seems to be much quicker and I can erase,
mount and copy files to my new filesystem without error. I have set
up the specific driver to do soft ecc. I noticed that when I reboot the
system and the filesystem gets mounted I get errors. The more
writes that occur the more errors I seem to get. I ran a test for a
week or so over the break which generated log files. A reboot after
this produced thousands of errors but the filesystem seemed ok.

The errors are something like

Empty flash at 0x00469ffcb ends at 0x0046a000

or

jffs2_scan_dirent_node(): Node CRC failed on node at 0x0046a7f0
read 0xffffffff calculated 0xdec8161b

I was wondering if any of you could shed any light on this.

On 3 Dec 2002, at 14:03, Thomas Gleixner wrote:

> On Tuesday 03 December 2002 11:23, simon at baydel.com wrote:
> > I am using an SMC via the MTD layer. On one of the partitions I
> > would like to put a JFFS2 filesystem. Normally I erase the partition
> > and then mount it JFFS2. The problem is that if the partition has a
> > bad block I cannot erase or mount it. Does the bad block handling
> > have to be in the vendor specific nand driver ?
>
> Please use latest MTD-CVS code.
> Read http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/tech/nand.html
>
> --
> Thomas
> linutronix - competence in embedded & realtime linux
> http://www.linutronix.de
> mail: tglx at linutronix.de

Simon Haynes - Baydel
Phone : 44 (0) 1372 378811