Kernel oops with an unclean unmounted filesystem

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at sigma-chemnitz.de
Wed Feb 19 15:18:20 EST 2003

Thomas Gleixner <tglx at linutronix.de> writes:

>> after creating and/or modifying a file in a JFFS2 filesystem,
>> I turned off the device without unmounting/syncing the device.
> What exactly did you do there ? I mean creating and/or modifying.

AFAIR I did:

1. rebooted the device and used the JFFS2 fs as the root-fs
2. cd /etc/minit/getty
3. - mv depends depends_
   - { echo 'getty/sleep'; cat depends_; } >depends
   - rm -f depends_
4. - mkdir sleep
   - ln -s /bin/sleep sleep/run
   - echo 1 >sleep/params
   - touch sleep/sync
5. waited 1-2 seconds
6. pressed the reset-button of the device

I am not sure about the order of the operations in 3 and 4, or if
3 and 4 were swapped.

The used toolset was busybox linked against glibc-2.3.1.

Because I wanted to keep a reproducible testcase I have not tried
to repeat it.

Enrico