Q: MTD and NIC Roms...

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at pobox.com
Thu Feb 13 01:14:37 EST 2003

Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Currently I have a patch to eepro100.c that adds an MTD map driver so
> the onboard rom can be written.  Making code like etherboot easier to
> flash etc.
[...]
> I am currently looking for ideas on ways to cleanly get this code
> into the kernel, and I am looking for ideas.  The map driver is

Well... this functionality has existed for a while, and it doesn't need
to be in the kernel :)

Donald Becker's diag suite can do flashing.
ftp://www.scyld.com/pub/diag/  He provides means to program the flash
from userspace.

And I think that's the best place for it.  We _could_ bloat up the
kernel code by adding the ability flash -- but how many users is that
going to serve, that are not already served by existing programs?  So, I
disagree with getting this stuff into the kernel at all.

	Jeff