JFFS2 & 2.5.59 & FS_REQUIRES_DEV

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Fri Feb 7 04:29:03 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-02-07 at 09:22, Kasparek Tomas wrote:
> OK, please could you summarize actual state - how it should work without
> mtdblock device. What is now the right value for 'root='?

For the root file system, it _doesn't_ work without an mtdblock device.
You need to specify the device as before. For mounting normally,
however, you can specify something like 'mtd:jffs2 partition' or 'mtd:1'
(IIRC -- I'd have to look at the code against to confirm the latter) to
mount by MTD device name or number, with no need to use the mtdblock
devices.

If the mechanism for mounting the root file system would pass the
contents of the 'root=' command line argument in to the file system,
then we could do it for the root file system too. But it doesn't so we
can't -- until it gets fixed. So it's not just get_fs_names() that wants
changing, but the whole way in which we use the 'root=' argument to
decide on a block device and create a fake /dev/root with the
appropriate major/minor.

> If there is some page about this, please give me link(s) too.

Only fs/jffs2/super.c :)

--
dwmw2