Problem mounting JFFS2 as root, works for ext2

Dan Cardamore dan.cardamore at officeserver.ca
Sat Aug 9 01:33:45 EDT 2003

Hi,

I'm trying to use a JFFS2 partition as my root file system.

Setup I have:
   - Compact flash connected to an IDE adapter:
      - /dev/hda1 = ext2 with kernel and initrd
      - /dev/hda2 aka /dev/mtdblock/1 is the JFFS2 image
      - /dev/hda3 = ext2, same contents as the JFFS2 image, just a
        differnet fstab
   - GRUB installed on /dev/hda boots using /dev/hda1's kernel and
     initrd.
   - kernel then mounts the real root device

The boot parameters I use for a JFFS2 root are:
blkmtd_device=/dev/hda2 blkmtd_erase=64 devfs=mount root=/dev/mtdblock/1 rw

The boot parameters I use for a JFFS2 root are:
blkmtd_device=/dev/hda2 blkmtd_erase=64 devfs=mount root=/dev/hda3 rw

If I boot using JFFS2 as my root, I get:
<snip>
VFS: Mounted root (jffs2 filesystem)
mount_devfs_fs(): unable to mount devfs, err: -2
Freeing unused kerneel memory: 132k freed
Warning: unable to open an initial console.
Kernel panic: No init found.  Try passing init= option to the kernel

If I boot from /dev/hda3 as my root (ext2), I get everything working
perfect.  Once I have my system up and running, I can then type:
mount -t jffs2 -o rw /dev/mtdblock/1  /mnt
And it works just fine with no warnings.  I can see that the filesystem
has all the contents that the ext2 filesystem has including /dev.  When
I mount it at this point, I can run lsmod and see that zero kernel
modules are loaded since I compiled everything built-in.

So I'm using the same kernel and the same filesystem, just different
root filesystem type.  Does anyone have an idea what could be going on
here?  Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan Cardamore                              dan.cardamore at officeserver.ca