NFTL formatting problem; alternatives?

Selwyn Tang selwyn at hectrix.com
Wed Aug 6 00:50:28 EDT 2003

Dear all,

Since the latest mtd cvs doesn't build nftl_format, I wonder if there
are any alternatives in Linux. I also tried building nftl_format from
mtd snapshot 2002-07-31, the one mentioned in Karim's book. But since I
have already patched my 2.4.21 kernel with mtd snapshot 2003-08-04, I
failed to compile the former util snapshot. I even tried patching 2.4.21
with the mtd snapshot 2002-07-31, but failed. So, how can I perform a
NFTL format in Linux, instead of using dformat.exe in DOS?

Another problem is concerning the order of operations of preparing the
DOC. According to Karim's book, I successfully built a grub_firmware and
  loaded it to my DOC (previously erased by eraseall) using
doc_loadbios. The next step is to NTFL format my DOC. But the precaution
is that the NFTL driver would interfere with nftl_format, and therefore
I have to either compile the NFTL driver as a module and unload it when
NTFL formatting, or eraseall my DOC and reboot so that the
kernel-built-in NFTL driver would not detect it. Since I already
built-in the driver, I prefer the second approach. But if I eraseall my
DOC and reboot, can I still doc_loadbios the grub_firmware and then
nftl_format my DOC at 98304?

Regards,

Selwyn