compiling latest CVS

Tim Drury tdrury at siliconmotorsports.com
Fri Aug 1 18:08:19 EDT 2003

I got the latest CVS to build, but with a few issues.

patches/patchin.sh ran successfully.  Upon building my kernel
modules I got an error in nand.c that 'i' was undeclared.  So in
mtd/drivers/nand/nand.c, line 936 add 'i' to the int declaration.

Now cross-compiling the kernel and modules worked fine.

I sym-linked mtd/util into the kernel source base as instructed
in the README.  Building failed complaining about something in
crc32.h and I realized that it wasn't finding linux/types.h.
I needed to include the linux kernel include directory to get
past this.  Then it failed trying to find zlib.h.  Added that
then it failed to find libz.so.

The above can all be done without modifying files:

make CROSS=i386-linux- CFLAGS='-I/path/to/kernel/linux-2.4.21/include
-I/path/to/zlib-1.4.1' \
LDFLAGS=-L/path/to/zlib/lib

and everything cross-compiled to my target system.  Was pointing to
the kernel/include directory bad?

-tim