moving MTD partitions

Thomas Gleixner tglx at linutronix.de
Wed Apr 30 12:28:17 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 30 April 2003 17:00, J B wrote:

> i'll have to check in our version of jffs2 to see if SIGHUP still works.
> using 2.4.18, so maybe...

SIGHUP still works, but it is hard to figure out, if gc has cleaned up
everything. They only way for now is repeat -SIGHUP for a certain amount of
time. Note that there is no real switch off for gc. So it will recycle clean
blocks until you decide to stop it, so some hacking will be neccecary though.
The block shuffle stuff (partition magic) itself is no big deal. Find the
empty ones and rotate the blocks until the empty ones are on top or bottom of
the partition. This could be done from userspace.

> as for the special tool, i wonder if PowerQuest makes a version of
> PartitionMagic that can deal with MTD devices... ;)

I suggested a mtd-partition-magic project some minutes ago on IRC :)

--
Thomas
linutronix - competence in embedded & realtime linux
mail: tglx at linutronix.de