moving MTD partitions

J B mad_flasher at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 30 07:29:57 EDT 2003

Someone asked me the following question the other day, and my initial
response was no.  But I wanted to ask the MTD community and see if there
were any ideas.

"The basic question is if it is feasible to resize (smaller or larger) a
jffs2 filesystem / mtd block device over flash and maintain the existing
contents. Copying the contents out and then back again is not an option (not
enough space)."

This particular user doesn't have any non-partitioned flash space, so making
one partition larger implies that another gets smaller.  They are assuming
that the partition that needs to be smaller has some empty space in it.
Otherwise, the whole maintaining the contents part of their question is
invalid since you cant shrink a partition that is full without losing data.

So, any ideas?

Thanks,