List etiquette.

Jörn Engel joern at wohnheim.fh-wedel.de
Thu Apr 24 11:20:12 EDT 2003

On Thu, 24 April 2003 09:47:09 -0500, Grant Edwards wrote:

> If you don't change the In-Reply-To: header, a decent MUA will
> thread the new article with the old thread.  It doesn't belong
> there (or you wouldn't have changed the topic).

Well, if I didn't want the reference to the old thread, I wouldn't
reply in the first place. The subject has shifted already, the subject
header simply makes this clear for everyone who might want to ignore
that sub-thread now. But as long as I quote from the original thread,
I personally think that it should remain in it.

Opinions vary, though.

> If you want to reply to a message and start a new thread, make
> sure you remove the In-Reply-To: header also.

And references.

Yes, sometimes it makes sense to start a new thread, for psychological
reasons. But usually the subject of the mail contents doesn't fit the
subject anymore and the author simply let's other people know before
they have to read it.

Anyway, I will just keep the Re: and think twice. :)

Jörn

--
Correctness comes second.
Features come third.