jffs2 compression question

Brian T. btuch at usa.net
Thu Apr 17 15:10:10 EDT 2003

Hi,

I have jffs2 running on a 2.4.20 kernel custom Embedded box with 16MB ROM
(Intel flash) and 32MB RAM.  The file system is about 52% full, and has
about 22MB of free RAM.  When I copy 4 ~1.6MB programs over to the ROMFS I
loose about 3MB of space with compression.  The system however also uses
another ~3MB RAM once the files are done being copied.  My question is, when
does (if ever) that 3MB RAM get freed up?  If I delete the files I just
copied, the RAM appears to be freed up.   If I reboot the unit, the RAM gets
reset back to the original 22MB RAM free.

Thanks for any insite.

-Brian