device info in /proc/mtd

Holger Schurig h.schurig at mn-logistik.de
Thu Apr 17 09:05:38 EDT 2003

> It would be nice to be able to query
> this information at any time - a specific model of motherboard might
> socket a different chip depending on cost/availability and I'd like to
> be able to track which BIOS flash chip is being used.

For what do you need this?     Do "dmesg >/var/log/dmesg" at boot-time and you
can grep this file whenever you want it.

Many people won't need this info, they run linux in a tightly defined
environment where you always load the same drivers for the MTD subsystem.
They know if the have a 49FL004 or whatever. No need to retrieve this info
from somewhere else.

Adding fields after the output of /proc/mtd may break some applications that
use this info, e.g. flash utilities.