device info in /proc/mtd

Thayne Harbaugh tharbaugh at lnxi.com
Wed Apr 16 13:25:45 EDT 2003

It's nice that loading the amd76xrom module outputs probe information
about a device manufacturer and chip:

[root at 172 2466]# modprobe amd76xrom
Found: PMC Pm49FL004
number of JEDEC chips: 1
amd76xrom chip at offset: 480000

I hoped this same information would be in /proc/mtd - it's not.

[root at 172 2466]# cat /proc/mtd
dev:    size   erasesize  name
mtd0: 00080000 00001000 "AMD76X rom"

Is there someplace where the manufacturer and chip are available other
than in the printk() messages?  It would be nice to be able to query
this information at any time - a specific model of motherboard might
socket a different chip depending on cost/availability and I'd like to
be able to track which BIOS flash chip is being used.

Something like this in /proc/mtd might be nice:

dev:    size   erasesize  name       manufacturer chip chip_name
mtd0: 00080000 00001000 "AMD76X rom" 009d         006e "PMC Pm49FL004"

Am I crazey?  Is this plain wrong?  Does anyone have objections if I
submit a patch?

--
Thayne Harbaugh
Linux Networx