[SPAM] FAT on NAND

Charles Manning manningc2 at actrix.gen.nz
Fri Apr 4 15:08:24 EST 2003

Jim

As you see from David and Thomas, there is wide  agreement that FAT on NAND
is not a good idea if you want reliable storage.

Some associates of mine using WinCE tried three different commercial
FAT-on-NAND solutions before they gave up and moved to YAFFS for data
integrity and speed reasons.

The easiest way to get FAT-on-NAND is to use SmartMedia. This is used by MP3
players, cameras etc. It works OK, has wear levelling (of a sort - not
explicit wear levelling). As Thomas says, this is not pure FAT but is very
close and it looks like FAT from the operating system.  I would not trust it
for any data I cared about or if I needed a fast file system.

I have had a look at what is required to get YAFFS working on Windows (98,
2000, XP). I think this would be far easier, and give far better results,
than trying to make FAT robust.

-- CHarles