[SPAM] FAT on NAND

jimzeus at vip.sina.com jimzeus at vip.sina.com
Fri Apr 4 01:21:36 EST 2003

Hi, all:

What I am doing now is to build a filesystem which can be
recognized on _raw_ NAND flash. So, I think FAT will be the only
choice(though I know it's very unstable). And I have following question now:

1.How unstable would it be? Does it support:
     a.journaling (crash/power-off safe ,I mean)
     b.bad block management
     c.wear levelling
     d.error correction
     e.something else I dont know to make the FS reliable
2.I have checked the NAND flash docoment (especially
the "Filesystems supporting NAND"chapter) and I found out that
it seems no way to build a FAT on a bare NAND flash but only on
the SmartMediaCards, am I right? Or the SM card and the bare NAND
are just the same thing when a FAT on it.
3.Maybe I misunderstood,but David Woodhouse had told me that I should apply layers like FAT->NFTL->NAND if I wanna build a FAT on
a NAND flash.But I learned that the NFTL only support Doc from the
NAND flash document, isnt it? And what should I do to support the
FAT ?
4.Everybody tells me that the Fat on a NAND is not reliable,but I
think USB mass storage are based on NAND and got a FAT (or some
filesystem which windows can recognize) on it, so ,how comes it
happen?

BTW:Why my mail sent to the maillist always "awaits moderator approval"?

TIA

Jim Zeus