Can mtd partition span multiple devices

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Thu Apr 3 06:25:37 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-03 at 12:15, Kenneth Johansson wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-04-03 at 02:58, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> > On Thursday 03 April 2003 00:56, John Burch wrote:
> > > I'm wondering if a single mtd partition can span more than one physical
> > > flash device.  For example, if two flash devices span the following
> > > address ranges, 0x0-0x3FFFFF and 0x400000-0x7FFFFF, can an mtd partition
> > > be defined as follows?
> > >
> > > Name: spanning_partition
> > > Size: 0x200000
> > > Offset: 0x300000
> > >
> > > So this partition would span physical addresses 0x300000 - 0x3FFFFF
> > > (device 1) and 0x400000 - 0x4FFFFF (device 2).
> >
> > Enable MTD concatenating support.
> >

> You mean MTD partitioning no need for concatenating with this layout.

Probably true -- if the two physical devices are laid out such that a
single chip probe will find them together, they can be used as a single
MTD device even without mtdconcat just by setting your map to cover the
whole range 0->8M. You only really need mtdconcat for more complicated
setups.

--
dwmw2