Wacky JEDEC probes

Thayne Harbaugh tharbaugh at lnxi.com
Tue Apr 1 11:59:49 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 07:18, Stefan Roese wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am trying to use "jedec_probe.c" on our ppc based board to support two
> different flash types (AMD AM29VL160xT and SSTI SST39LF160). Both are used
> in 16bit mode. Since the SST flash is not really CFI compliant, I have to
> use jedec_probe, right?
>
> Two problems:
> 1) 16bit support for the AM29LV160 device.
> The simple solution is to add the 16bit part as new device. Works here fine.

Looks good.  I figured this would be a reasonable way for handling these
16bit devices.  I guess I should go back and fix all of the FIXME's.

> 2) Support for the ST39LF160 device.
> The ID-check in every block doesn't work on this device, since it's block
> size is smaller that it's unlock addresses.

Somehow I don't understand what "block size smaller than unlock
addresses" means.

>  Therefore the ID-check in every
> block has to disabled for SST devices.

I was somewhat uncertain about this method - thought it would be enough
to check just the first block.  The "check ID in every block" method was
suggested by David Woodhouse.  I implemented it because it worked for
the selection of devices I have access to - including an SST49LF040.

Should just the first block be checked for the ID for _all_ devices or
should we have "if" statements to disable it for certain devices?  I
don't like having a bunch of special cases, but I also prefer things to
work.

> Please find attached a patch for these two problems (against the current cvs
> version). Any comments? Could this be commited?

I'll likely commit the 16bit devices today.  I also want to do some
cleanup with unlock addresses - the addresses listed in jedec_table[]
should be used in more places (I don't like the hard-coded magic numbers
that appear in various sections of the code).

> Best regards,
> Stefan.

<old context snipped>

--