Stable cvs version for 2.4

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Sep 4 11:54:28 EDT 2002

acurtis at onz.com said:
>  Just pick a method that will work for all. No sense in cluttering the
> code with conditional compile stuff because we can not choose an
> implementation. How about we make the flags element either a byte or a
> word depending on architecture. This would only result in a structure
> redefinition and not affect the rest of the code.

If we're going to do that, we might as well just use a byte and not even
have the #define.

In the common case, on the architectures where stuff will be aligned, the
compiler will automatically pad that out so it takes 32 bits anyway, and
there's no difference. In the case where the compiler doesn't pad, we gain
three bytes per object.

If we're not going to avoid those 32 bits in the common case, it's not
really worth the effort.

--
dwmw2