Hoping for a little insight

Justin Wojdacki justin.wojdacki at analog.com
Wed Oct 16 22:16:36 EDT 2002

Okay, so it looks like far more data is being written to flash than
should be. As an example, a 8205 byte file is occupying 15356 bytes of
actual flash (based on tracking writes). It looks like data is getting
repeatedly written to flash. So, if I have the pattern "ABCD", I see
written to flash:

AB
ABC
ABCD

Additionally, I see the flash being written in blocks of 512 bytes. I
have CONFIG_MTD_CFI and CONFIG_MTD_JEDEC_PROBE set in my
configuration, and the following entry added to jedec_probe.c:

	{
                mfr_id: MANUFACTURER_ST,
                dev_id: M29W320DB,
                name: "ST M29W320DB",
                DevSize: SIZE_4MiB,
                NumEraseRegions: 4,
                regions: { ERASEINFO(16*1024,1),
                           ERASEINFO(8*1024,2),
                           ERASEINFO(32*1024,1),
                           ERASEINFO(64*1024,63)
                }
	}

Is this sufficient? Or should I have added an entry to amd_flash.c
instead and set CONFIG_MTD_AMDSTD? (Some devices are declared in both
jedec_probe.c and amd_flash.c so I'm a little unsure about how this
breaks down).