DoC trouble on wafer PC

Robert Sprockeels robert.sprockeels at boat.be
Fri Oct 11 06:48:58 EDT 2002

Hi all,

As a DoC newbie, I searched the mailing list archives for the problem I
encounter without success. So, here goes (sorry if this question has
already been answered x^10 times...).

I want to use a 16Mb DoC 2000 device to boot from on a wafer PC (Geode
GX-1-300, 64Mb RAM). I followed the recommendations as in the
mtd-jffs-HOWTO but seem to have a slight problem.

I try this with LEAF Bering rc3 (leaf.sourceforge.net), an embedded
Linux with kernel version 2.4.18. I use the modules approach, since this
allows me to "play around until it works" ;-)

So, in sequence I load (with insmod, no modprobe available):
mtdcore.o
nftl.o
docecc.o
doc2000.o

A cat /proc/mtd reports:
dev:    size   erasesize  name
mtd0: 01000000 00004000 "DiskOnChip 2000"

dmesg also reports that the device was found:
DiskOnChip 2000 found at address 0xD6000
Flash chip found: Manufacturer ID: 98, Chip ID: 73 (Toshiba TH58V128DC)
1 flash chips found; Total DiskOnChip size: 16 MiB
 nftla: nftla1

I have both /dev/mtd and /dev/mtd0 devices, and also /dev/nftla and
/dev/nftla[1-4]

I try to look on the device if there is already something on it, but get

# sfdisk -l /dev/nftla
/dev/nftla: Device not configured

sfdisk: cannot open /dev/nftla for reading

Any ideas, recommendations or pointers to help me over this barrier? Do
I need to format the DoC device before I can access it?

Robert