Booting from DOC2000

Mark Meade mark at lakeshoremicro.com
Wed Oct 9 08:41:50 EDT 2002

Carlos Mateo wrote:
> I have used grub-0.92 patched with
> grub-0.92-doc.patch.  Initially it didn't work,
> because I have a DiskOnChip with UnitSizeFactor =
> 0x00.
>
> To make it work, I have commented out the
> UnitSizeFactor check that is done in
> stage2/bdev_diskonchip.c.  Since I am not an expert, I
> don't know if this could work with other DOC, but it
> works fine with mine so far.

The GRUB patch I just submitted to the list includes a small change to
bdev_diskonchip.c that allows UnitSizeFactors of both 0xFF and 0x00.  It is
assumed that 0x00 means the same thing as 0xFF, similar to nftlmount.c in the
MTD code.

I've tested this a 32MB DoC 2000, and an 8MB Millennium, and it works fine on
both.

If I remember correctly, other people have tried something similar, but it
didn't work -- it may have been one of the very large DoC 2000s.