SmartMedia Card need to create fs before mounting it ?

Thomas Gleixner tglx at linutronix.de
Tue Nov 26 05:38:16 EST 2002

On Monday 25 November 2002 22:42, shadow wrote:
> I don't understand what difference between /dev/mtd/x and /dev/mtdblock/x
dev/mtd is a character device
dev/mtdblock is a block device, which is required for mounting filesystems

> I used eraseall to erase /dev/mtd/6, it shown following messages..
> ----
> <---------skip above
> eraseall: /dev/mtd/6: MTD Erase failure: Input/output error
> Erasing 8 Kibyte @ 7f4000 -- 99 % complete.
> eraseall: /dev/mtd/6: MTD Erase failure: Input/output error
> Erasing 8 Kibyte @ 7f8000 -- 99 % complete.
> eraseall: /dev/mtd/6: MTD Erase failure: Input/output error
> Erasing 8 Kibyte @ 7fa000 -- 99 % complete.
> eraseall: /dev/mtd/6: MTD Erase failure: Input/output error
> Erasing 8 Kibyte @ 7fe000 -- 99 % complete.
> eraseall: /dev/mtd/6: MTD Erase failure: Input/output error
> Erased 8192 Kibyte @ 0 -- 100% complete.
The I/O errors indicate probably that you have bad blocks on your FLASH.
Use dmesg to verify.
But it's not a problem. JFFS2 can handle this.

now
mount -t jfss2 /dev/mtdblock/x /mnt/bla

--
Thomas
linutronix - competence in embedded & realtime linux
mail: tglx at linutronix.de